Interesting facts about translations worth knowing
Interesting facts about translations
- Jerome was the first to translate the Bible from the Old Hebrew and Greek into Latin. On the 30th of September, the world celebrates St. Jeronimo’s name day and the International Translators’ day.
- The Bible is the most translated book – in total to 2 454 different languages. In second place – “Pinocchio”.
- The works of author Agatha Christie were most frequently translated into other languages.
- The novel “War and Peace” written by Leo Tolstoy in Russian and French is of about 460 000 words. Meanwhile, in English language it is of 560 000 words.
- The Chinese language has 50 000 hieroglyphs. In order to read a newspaper, it is enough to know 2 000 hieroglyphs.
- There are around 330 000 registered translators around the world. One translator translates from 300 000 to 1 000 000 words a year.
- There are 2 500 languages in the world. The most popular are Chinese, Spanish, English and Hindi. Most often it is translated from English, French, German, Russian and Italian. Most often translated into – German, French, Spanish, English and Japanese.
- More than 300 languages are spoken in the United States, and 11 official languages are approved in South Africa.